Overzealous Prosecutors

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Overzealous "Abstinateness"

I sincerely hope you all can view UF facebook. I would like you to direct your attention to this group and then this Dictionary.com entry, or lack thereof.

Normally, you know, I loathe any sort of prescriptivist linguistic devices such as dictionaries or grammar books, but in this case, I will make an exception because I don't think people should be talking about their lifestyle choices (i.e. abstinence, promiscuity, or whatever have you) in public so loudly... and when they do go against that good sense, they should do so with every degree of caution, which would include spell-checking, because this is a grievous offense indeed.

I think I speak for all overzealous prosecutors in the world when I say that being overzealous is great, but let's do it with style, shall we?

3 Comments:

  • I love it. You are marvelous.

    Besides the UCF chapter of "I tried to forge the river and my oxen died" we also boast the wonderful "I hate cheerleaders more than life itslef". Wait... maybe I shouldn't be telling anyone about this.

    On the other hand, there's the "my favorite word is defenestrate" club. Where you can be sure that the spell checker is always in use and everything (including the word "definitely") is spelled correctly.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:29 PM  

  • Their strategery to spread abstinateness is falticious

    By Blogger Disco, at 1:33 PM  

  • Perhaps granting them too much credit, it could be a deliberate blend of "abstinent" and "obstinate." Seems rather appropriate, n'est-ce pas? Regardless, I'm disinclined to such corruptions of our post-Norman mother tongue.

    By Blogger monocrat, at 9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home