Overzealous Prosecutors

Sunday, September 04, 2005

Overzealous Ethical Consequences

I am not exactly sure who OP Staff is supposed to be, but if that rumor was in fact true -- and let's face it, some of our Asst ADs and ADs have not historically been very handsome -- there may be some consequences we should think about.

First, I have to say, this blog should be used for hard news and hard-hitting analysis and as this is mostly read by Gators, yes, it's blogworthy.

Second, for the moment, the post stands on the blog.

Third, for full disclosure, I have been an advocate, at times, of regime change at the UAA. There's no doubt that they recently stabbed Steve Spurrier, the greatest thing to ever happen to UF, not once, but TWICE, and so, I have some harsh feelings for the athletic administration at this school and it may color my opinion about the past at times.

Of course, it's hard to argue too much with his consistent stewardship of the program the past several years, from Billy Donovan's hiring til today, ranging across the big sports and into the smaller ones which he has built UF into a powerhouse in. Seeing UF baseball go to the finals of the College World Series exceeded my wildest dreams for the program. Although he needs to have a chat with Justin Tordi.

Fourth, initially, it would seem his alleged actions were unethical. I am not sure it's unethical for the AD to get involved like that, but then again, we're talking about an Asst AD-- AND this is just a rumor. But if it WAS true, and I guess it could be, I would not be against that. This is not regarding the marital status of said athletic department employee, but in regards to his relationship as an administrator in the program with someone active in the program.

I think people have to be able to find mates, potential girlfriends and boyfriends, wives and husbands in their everyday lives. As you get older and older, it gets harder and harder. Though we have a sort of intuition that older people in these positions are preying, the reality is that most of these relations are consensual and this person was surely not in a position to use his power as a coercive measure against the female athlete. I'm usually the first one to point out the hierarchies, the sexist patriarchies and so on, at least in the Republican Party, but this seems pretty innocuous. And people involved with the athletic program share many common interests. It seems logical that people could be attracted within the program's bounds.

I have no problem with that. And the state of his marriage at the time, I think, is his own business. I will not cast judgement not knowing.

And to say that we know NOTHING about the whole rumor is putting it mildly, so I probably shouldn't be indulging it, but... there you have it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home