Overzealous Prosecutors

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Overzealous Abstinence

Red Hat, for reasons unbeknownst to me, is referring good post material to others to post as opposed to doing so for himself, so let me make some overzealous commentary on the latest overzealous abstinence people, but this time in Britain.

Reading material can be found here. Pertinent excerpt:

The show will follow six boys and six girls aged 15 to 17 as they are coaxed into favouring celibacy over sex. The show will see the dozen share a house for a weekend to test whether they can resist the urge to get frisky. No Sex Please, We're Teenagers is the brainchild of Christian youth workers Dan Burke and Rachael Gardner. The duo are to set up a "Romance Academy" to teach the teenagers the ways of good old-fashioned courting, rather than the booze-fuelled romp that led to one of the young folks, 15-year-old Wesley, losing his virginity at the age of 12.


::sighs:: First of all, I'm not sure why these Christian youth workers would play with the lives of adolescents like this and basically set the conditions for them becoming sexually active (three are virgins) or continuing in their activity, when they seek to discourage it. I don't know if the BBC would air something rigged, but it seems like an awful chance to take and it would never make it on network television here-- with good reason. Our reality shows, such as the legendary Dancing with the Stars, still have some class and standards, even if the aforementioned show was unjustly stolen from EVERYONE'S favorite John O'Hurley. Even the most cutthroat of reality shows, like GvB, have to be better than this new BBC idea.

Again, I reiterate, what the HELL are the supposed youth ministers thinking?

Now, on to my next rant: let's get over the fact that teenagers do have sex. And it really depends whether they should or not. Teenagers are not beyond love, or safe lust. It doesn't matter what dumb law you have on the books, they're gonna do it. I don't advocate teenage sex for teenage sex's sake, I merely wish people could let the matter alone as if it's a sign of moral decay in society because TRUST me, its been happening since the beginning. It happens in your next door neighbor's house. It happens in parks. It happens in high school bathrooms, high school classrooms, as well as their middle school counterparts. It happens on buses, on the grass, and in other places.

Would I condone my children going at it from the ages of 13 to 19? The answer is a definite 'no' up until the later years of the range because they are adults and capable of making their own decisions at that point. Even though my heart would be completely against it, my head tells me that they have rights and should be respected to make their own decisions-- with my advice of course. That's my job as a parent: to guide and to be supportive, not to own.

As Admiral Kirk said in Star Trek II, "We learn by doing."

( I'll probably regret posting this later... )

2 Comments:

  • I forward material to you because I don't know bloody HTML yet. Plus, I spend most of my time commenting and making smart-aleck posts at imaopodcast.com bulletin boards in the hopes of getting more views here.

    By Blogger Red Hat, at 1:53 PM  

  • stop the spin red hat...STOP THE SPIN

    By Blogger Disco, at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home